Sunday, May 29, 2005

I fought the lawn and the lawn won:


IMG_2593
Originally uploaded by mquest foto.
We have a back yard birthday party coming up in the near future. Number of times the lawnmower has broken in the last two weeks? Two. Number of times we fixed it? One. I am fast losing hope for having a nice yard for the party.

My dad came over yesterday and we fixed it. It was a rather simple process involving a screwdriver as a crowbar and a wrench. One of the drive chains had slipped off and jammed in the gears. Today something new and exciting happened to Mr Lawnmower it involves a flywheel that spins while not turning the engine and a puddle of motor oil.

Mr. Lawnmower and I have never really gotten along all that well. It is one of those lawnmowers that is built to last forever and with any knowledge of small engines anyone can work on it. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of small engines.

We first met somewhere in November of 1974 when I was too small to pull the cord and start the engine. We have had some epic battles over the years. I would go inside and tell my dad it wouldn't start and he would go out and start it on the first pull.

Well I inherited the lawnmower and its age is starting to show.

UPDATE: It is dead. Most likely a cracked engine. We played Taps and stood around a said a quick eulogy. Tomorrow I will borrow my dads lawnmower.

6 comments:

Nam LaMore said...

ah, i remember the chores of mowing the lawn weekly. i didn't mind it so bad, but when we found out i was allergic to the grass .. it was quickly my brother's chore. i got his -- vacuuming (every other day). he got the better deal.

Unknown said...

From 1974 to 2005 I have been tormented by the same lawnmower. I will have to ask my brother if he has the same “fond” memories of it that I do.

Jack Steiner said...

Been a long time since I had to fight the mower.

Nam LaMore said...

seeing how this mower is of the relic-type, don't just toss it out -- personally, i would strip the blades and motor, and set it in a corner of the yard with a couple of climbing vines (morning glories or nasturseums are my first choices) growing from the crevices. but that's just me, i love found art in the garden.

i have a whole collection of old shoes (soles have been drilled for drainage) with succulents in them :-)

Irina Tsukerman said...

RIP Mr.Lawnmower

Unknown said...

Jack- You are lucky.

Irina- It is a bitter-sweet moment.

Nam LaMore- My family told me I had to get rid of it. It is best to get rid of your Tormentor. nasturseums are a better idea. The Morn Glorys can grow a good 60 feet in a year in my area.