Sunday, September 19, 2004

Stuck in the library-

Yesterday, we took a never ending trip to the library. Our local library has a stack of wood puzzles that my son loves to play with. After an hour of playing with the various puzzles and explaining 5 million times what the object was on each piece it was time to go. But we could not leave. Every time I would put the puzzles away he would began to get verbally upset. (he does not talk at 27 months) So I would pull down another puzzle and try to plot a way out of the library as he happily worked on the puzzle. I knew if he had a major breakdown I would have a hard time getting out of the crowed but silent library. As time dragged on we worked our way through the stack of puzzles several times. His mind was working. He was enjoying himself. We were bonding and learning new things. I had to pee. Pain. Suffering. Agony. After each puzzle I would drop a hint. “Does your diaper need to be changed” or “Do you want to go to the car.” He would start to get upset and point to the puzzles high up on the shelf. Next puzzle. I would plot and plan. How do I escape with out disturbing all these people studying and reading in this nice quiet air conditioned building. Should I grab him and run. Will he squirm to much as I run up the stairs. I ask “are you thirsty”. No luck. Back to the train puzzle. He is starting to make silly mistakes.
He is distracted. Frustration is setting in. He can no longer work the puzzle pieces.
He hops off his seat grabs my hand and off we go. We are quiet and no one is disturbed. See pictures.

No comments: