Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Carrot cooked crisp chipish

I have been working on creating a baked carrot recipe. My goal that I am trying for is a French fry or chip like texture that is on the healthy side.
The original concept took baby carrots and sliced them into strips. I cut them in lengthwise in half. Tossed them with a small amount of olive oil or vegetable oil and baked them. Each time I increased the cooking temperature at first I started at 325 and am now at 450. I might try the broiler next.

I was never that happy with the result.

For the last few weeks I have been working with frozen crinkle cut carrots. I found they became too soft when I defrosted them so I started baking them while still frozen.
This has helped a lot. I place them on a single layer on a cookie sheet. Spray them with cooking oil and cook at 450 for 13 min flip them and cook for another 12 min.
.So far this is the best I can get. Any suggestions? Would corn meal help? I am trying to keep this as healthy as possible.

I have tried this with frozen zucchini and frozen squash with little luck. Any ideas?

No comments: