Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Endless Summers from long ago

Sometimes moments and events are stuck in time. Time and space travel foreword but the sights and sounds remain in the past where we left them.

Last night I was able to make contact with an old friend. I had not physically seen him in about ten years. From mutual friends I had been able to keep up on the basics of his life and fragments of his antics from time to time.

When last we talked he had just gotten over his first brush with MS. He was healthy in remission and was about to change his life drastically and start living it to the fullest. He broke up with his long time girlfriend joined a band and moved up to San Fransisco. After that I only heard about him in passing. Last night I received an email from him detailing his decline in health. The MS has come back with a vengeance. He has limited mobility in his right arm and his left arm is useless.. He is suffering from optic nerve damage that has caused bad double vision and is undergoing Chemotherapy.

I am not sure why he is undergoing chemotherapy for MS but, it is not helping. In fact his treatments are not helping and the future does not look bright.

Going back to my first two sentences I still remember him as he was 10 years ago. Now it is 10 years later and life continues toward what we knew would happen. The MS returned and his 10 years of freedom are quickly coming to a halt. I have no real idea of how he spent the last 10 years. But, I can still remember the endless summer of youth and what his goals were at that point.

The last thing I remember him saying was “we are all here to go”.

3 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

I'm sorry. I hope something can be done to help him.

monster said...

I've read this a few times now and this really touched me. I realize I need to keep in better touch with people from those endless summer nights from years ago. Hopefully the energies will change and I'll get in touch with them.

Unknown said...

I also hope that he can find something that works. But, for the most part the damage is done. Not sure how far the body could recover if they find something that works.
Monster- People come and go. There are only a few that I would even think of tracking down.