Thursday, December 16, 2004

A sad tale- Jonathan Aurthur

I never head of this guy before I read his obituary. Looks as if he tried to do some good after his sons death.
In the years after Charley's death, Aurthur quit his copyediting job and wrote the 2002 book, "The Angel and the Dragon: A Father's Search for Answers to His Son's Suicide: The Myths and Realities of Mental Illness." To help other parents of troubled teens, he discussed the treatments his family had sought for Charley, and quoted liberally from his son's 10 spiral notebook journals.

Sadly he may of learned too much from his son. I hope they both found the peace that wanted.

Update:
This post has gotten a lot of hits from the search engines. I am not sure why. If anyone that swings by from a search-- can enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it. I would guess that his life had a great impact on many people.

I hope he made the world a better place for many people. Leave a note If it will make you feel better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a survivor of a suicide attempt, so your post caught my attention.--many years ago, but I'm personally o.k. now-- I checked the link you posted. This is a tragic story. Amazing that the father also ended his own life after knowing the pain of losing his son the same way. I always hate to hear about people who's lives are so bad, that they feel they can no longer go on. Hopefully they are both at peace now.
http://fallingthroughtime.braveblog.com/

Anonymous said...

I initially became interested in this person because the obituary in the local paper said that his despondency over the reelection of Bush contributed to his suicide. (I too, am quite despondent over that.)

Anyway, I did some searches shortly after reading the obituary. This lead me to his book, which I bought and am now reading. The book is quite interesting and contains quite a bit of psychological insight both to the author and the son. So now, I'm sitting here
searching again, mostly out of curiosity.

Unknown said...

Is the book good? Do we get good insight into the mans mind?

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the people Jonathan referenced in his book. It's been a year since he died and it's been really difficult. I was a friend of his son Charley, and he and I became friends after Charley's death. Jonathan watched me grow up and become the woman I am now. I wish he would've gotten the chance to see more.

Anonymous said...

I was a friend of Jonathan's and miss him very much. I just finished re-reading his book, so I searched on his name to see if anything new came up.